Apatia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

— A Runes of Magic Roleplaying Guild Forum —

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking for group!

Go down 
+2
Armistan
Noryel
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Noryel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 4:59 am

Hello guys! Ive been thinking about something with Iarna yesterday. I would like to form a party of 4 people wich would be able to be online together at some time for at least 2 hours, once per week. The idea is: Forming a group of adventurers (alt chars) and RP playing in a party together. Normal quests, dungeons, daylies + RP the whole time. As i said ONCE PER WEEK, 2 HOURS at least. I have friday, or saturday in mind, propably in the evening or early in the morning, depends on you ofcourse, anytime in the evening should be okay too. Anyone interested please post your ideal time and day and what kind of character you would like to play (means Tank/heal/dmg and roughly personality but that is not necessary). The group will be max 4 people cause more means a lot of problems with synchronization and too many characters would be too chaotic to RP together. If more people like the idea we can form more groups independent on each other with theyr own storylines to follow. Also i would like to write down what happened each week (ofcourse not word from word) and post it on the forum for others who are not involved to read.

Anyway post your ideas, chars and suggestions here. Looking forward to it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Armistan

Armistan

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Party mechanics   Looking for group! EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:04 am

It's certainly a fresh ideas, as one would expect from Nory. For the time being, I'll just post my thoughts on how I'd precieve the gameplay mechanics to guide this party formation.

Myself often playing the tank in any given group, I'd think that is a role one should consider first (even if Iarna will argue about the importance of the healer, which I will not deny). I'd think the most active player should take on the role of the tank, whomever that might be or however the character present him-/herself in terms of RP, since especially now with the third class, it will be more likely that the party has some healing power even if the healer was not present. Of course, under optimal circumstances nobody would ever miss an appointed session, but that would hardly seems realistic.

Now then, as per the tank's actual options of class combinations, there are quite a few. Imparting what I've learned so far, here is a short list:
- Knight / Any
A Knight primary can hold single target aggro over most others no matter the secondary class thanks to his Holy Strike ability. Ability to wear plate armour and Resilience -skill to buff Stamina allow him to take hits well. It should also be noted that a Knight will be able to equip platemail from level 24 up, while for the two combinations mentioned later that ability comes from a level 40 elite skill.
- Knight / Warrior
That being said, there are two particularly useful secondarys for the tank role. A Warrior secondary bolsters the Knight's AoE abilities, allowing him to keep aggro from all but the most ferocious fire mages. I can recommend this combination, as it is the one I started with on Armistan.
- Knight / Scout
A seemingly popular build for endgame instance tanks, the Scout's bow allows for some ranged aggro holding. As with a Warrior secondary, this one also has very tanking -oriented elite skills.
- Warrior / Knight
Recently modified, this combination can now wear plate (Warrior primary is usually limited to chainmail). The Warrior primary has some rather useful tanking skills with the major difference from a Knight being that he relies on his higher damage output to hold aggro, rather then abilities increasing it. Iarna warned me once that a tanking Warrior has the difficulty of not recovering easily from losing aggro, since his incoming rage will be hampered. In either case, an up-to-date weapon and a maxed out Weapon Master talent of choice seem to me a must.
- Warden / Warrior
Contrary to my earlier statements, seems like elves can now wear plate with this unique combination! From what I can gather without ever experimenting with this combination, I'd surmise it is somewhat more tricky then the human counterpart (as can be expected), but offers the added bonus of the Warden's pet. Spirit of the Oak should make a useful off-tank, unless it has to be kept devoured via Heart of the Oak for the build to be an effective tank. Yet it's nice to know that even elves can tank if one really desired that combination.

In case one wishes to do their own research, Runes of Magic Wiki should have all you need.
http://www.theromwiki.com/Classes
Back to top Go down
Noryel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 7:03 am

10 points to Grifindor for mister Armi! That is one hell of a usefull info, i thank you very much cheers . Anyway as you said tank should be the most active one and since im in high school (and not having a girlfriend at the moment xD ) I think i should be able to get online almost every evening so I could take up the role of the tank if nobody else is interested in it. I do not know the time yet cause that will depend on my school timetable wich i dont yet know and it will be changing for next month or two (my school sucks) but i should be able to play from 8 pm every day. Anyway if someone has some useful info as Armi posted go on ahead and post it. Im looking forward to geting this into action Smile
Back to top Go down
Andraliel

Andraliel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 3:05 am

So we are talking about making a new characters for this, right? :) Not using our existing ones?
Back to top Go down
Noryel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 2:11 am

Exactly Smile It should be a group of people that allready know each other roughly (means they were traveling together for...dunno...month or so) and because this would be playing once per week your character would be stuck (to ensure that the characters can travel together at the same pace + - few levels). So post here wich role you would like to play.

By the way i had an idea (a bit of a challenge) that Id prewrite some characters and everyone would pick one and try to play it as best as they can. I think it would give you another perspective in RP as you would have to deal with a character that you propably wouldnt write if you made the char yourself. Anyway post your ideas and pick a role if you are interested. I really want this to get done. Razz
Back to top Go down
Armistan

Armistan

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Group composition   Looking for group! EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 4:20 am

Starting in game mechanics terms again, I have for the longest time been interested in playing a Warrior/Rogue. There is something about maximizing one's auto-attack power that I find reassuring. The party role would thus be single target melee dps. As a sidenote, if we are to have a Mage primary for AoE dps in the party, I have to emphasize the tank's AoE capabilities. Knight/Warrior might be the only one able to hold multiple target aggro at that point.

Then onto the more juicy matters. Were I to create my own character for this scenario, I might be thinking of a troublemaker -type personality. Simply because I have no such characters and I think it might offer fun chances for the other group members to react to his/her temper and lack of manners. That being said, the idea of somewhat prescripting the party sounds interesting. Let me just share my thoughts about it (I'll try to be brief this time).

Experience tells me that there are only two ways of prewriting a character to another player, the very thorough script and the vague idea, with anything in between having very low chances of producing an enjoyable experience for either party. It appears to be traditional for Live Roleplaying games to write out massive material for each player. The thought process behind this - besides the fact that writing characters is fun - is that the gamemasters want to make absolutely certain their idea of the character and his/her role in the following story is taken to heart by the player in question. It is my opinion that this type of scripting requires some time and ability in conveying your vision, but has the advantage of being able to put players out of their comfort zone, thus giving a chance for groundbreaking play.

For limited time and maximized player input, it is often better to offer character concepts or ideas rather then define the party too rigidly. I'd like to point out that this method lacks nothing in comparison to the more thorough one when it comes to manipulating party dynamics and implementing a possible arching storyline for the group, since there is always interpretation going on during actual play. While exhaustive character descriptions should be self-explanatory with their long backrounds, personality decriptions and inspirational materials, I feel a rough example is in order for this shorter method. Using our current idea, one might come up with a grand quest the four have each their own reasons to complete or a series of events leading to them developing the necessary trust in become an adventuring group. For either scenario, it should be fruitful to emphasize intercharacter relationships. Subservience, distrust, blood-ties and even love-interests used with moderation might help combat stagnation in party RP.

This all being said, I personally favor the latter method, especially if unknown players are included, since it allows for greater freedom and demands less work. A working solution might for example be for Nory to come up with certain personality types with their relatively different outlooks and relationships as well as some story on how they came to be a "party". My idea here being that even the writer could be thrown a loop with all players choosing out of these four personalities, retaining the game-mechanics roles they had wished to play. Unless it's just me who finds the idea of a gentle barbarian and a scheming healer interesting. One more thing, should anyone wish to undertake this concept creation process, I can't press enough the importance of making the characters different from eachother at every turn, even when one is tying them together as this is very important material for the upcoming RP. So try to avoid having an authority figure just hire all four for the same grand quest.

By the way, do we have a fourth player? I'm assuming myself and Andra are interested. What about Iarna, Meine or Reece?
Back to top Go down
Noryel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 9:06 am

Iarna agreed only to play ocasional story encounters (something like NPC). Meine said he doesnt have time to play cause of his random free time, but he might be willing to act as another NPC. Reece i didnt ask so if you meet her before me please do ask in my stead Smile

Anyway im glad you have given thought to the prewriten chars. I think the rough description of how the character should look and how the group got together would be best solution. The rest regarding the chars id leave to the player him/herself. If you agree to it ill try to think up the four and start with the story a bit. But first id like to know what classes would be best. (To avoid writing a character that will suck as a team-mate)
Back to top Go down
Orpherus
Admin
Orpherus

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 11:46 am

No wait, I never said I'd want to act as an NPC, quite the contrary actually. Or if one is needed, maybe, but I'm not particularly interested in creating quests etc. Basically I'd either be in the party or refrain from playing at all. And I said I cannot agree on a certain day when I could play weekly, because my free time is too random for that, but if you don't end up having such a regular schedule, I could join.

As for prewritten characters, I'm personally very picky when it comes to character personalities and I just cannot play whichever type of personality. I've noticed that with my own creations whom I've abandoned after making them too difficult for myself. Thus I'd suggest only very vague character concepts. Actually, I think making up a goal for a certain character would be better than creating a complete personality. You see, one with the goal of spreading love and peace is likely to be quite different from one who's intent on taking over the world... I wouldn't necessarily tie the concepts to certain classes either. And even then, I'd make probably six concepts for four people to choose from.

If I were to join the party, I'd rather play melee DPS, such as rogue/scout or rogue with something else. I'm very much reluctant to tank, yet I could also settle for magic DPS or healing.
Back to top Go down
http://apatia.guildmmorpg.net
Noryel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 12:52 pm

okay i think ill do it like this: Ill write some concepts of characters and theyr personalities and it will be up to you guys if you want to play those or make your own ones (or take them and change them to be more suitable to your style) Any objections to that?
Back to top Go down
Andraliel

Andraliel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 1:16 pm

Sounds good to me. The whole thing sounds very intriguing. x3 I am looking forward to this <3
Back to top Go down
Armistan

Armistan

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 1:22 am

Even though I tried to be brief, my point was propably lost in the flood of that last post so let me try and reiterate.
We can certainly all come up with characters and personalities - some of us even require to do this by themselves - so prewriting the characters per ce seems like somewhat of a wasted effort unless someone particularly wants to try out playing a character written by another. That being said, I think it would be for the benefit of our RP if one person came up with the overall party dynamic (of course we could do it together, but it's my experience that four people is too many for such work). By which I mean the reason for these different personalities to form an adventuring group of whatever type it may be. For example, if we decided to play a band of explorers looking for the fabled golden city of Shangri-La, it'd be easier for players to plan their characters in a matter that better contributed to the overall RP. Would propably still be a good idea to offer some possible motivations for undertaking the journey, propably more then four to choose from. If players in turn took these motivations to heart, the party could withstand discord and other drama RP without players constantly having to question why their characters stick together.

Edit: Then again, I'm certain we will have fun times regardless of how it starts out. Propably better to get the project started while it still has forward momentum rather than agonize over the details endlessly. So don't take these expressions of opinion as demands for perfection.
Back to top Go down
Iarna

Iarna

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 4:20 am

I think it would be fun to the characters to have a somewhat doable goal. Like a highlevel instance or a part of the in-game storyline. Easy to explain how they need each other, if they are all trying to get the head of Kal'Turok (I know, this is not highlevel, but then again this is just an example). And all could have their personal motives to achieve the goal. And if they would ever achieve "the head" what would they do with it...

And btw, I love how this could engourage and bring the RP out of the castle grounds for everyone to see Smile Maybe more people would get interested, who knows.
Back to top Go down
Noryel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 4:43 am

to Iarna: That would be a problem for me because i dont know anything further than aslan valley and that snow something after it so it would be great if you gave me a hint on something i could build the story on.

Anyway im sorry for my absence lately i have rather tight schedule because of my new girlfriend (im so much in love i tend to forget what im doing Razz ). But i think i will sit down and write tomorrow or on friday and i think we could start next week?
Back to top Go down
Iarna

Iarna

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 4:50 am

Grats on the gf Smile And take your time.

I want to be clear: I meant that the whole group would have one main goal that is in everyones intreses.
Back to top Go down
Armistan

Armistan

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Aotulia Volcano   Looking for group! EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 5:19 am

I was recently dared to try my hand with the naga elites in Aotulia Volcano and couldn't help noticing the overall endgame feel of that zone. Perhaps having our heroes' journey (or at least the first part of it) climacting in the Naga Acropolis instance in Aotulia might make sense, since it is to my understanding the final encounter before new chapters started introducing other continents. I know for a fact that Andra has been questing in Aotulia lately and suspect Meine to have gone through there once as well. Perhaps you guys might remember something about the storyline our party might take interest in? All I have is a vague impression of the final boss being that half-demon one could see in loading screens before the last chapter release.
Back to top Go down
Noryel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 5:42 am

I dont know the location but that idea (for start) sounds tempting. Though we dont have to necesarily use game storyline the finall boss could own lets say some kind of magical orb of great power wich the members of the group would seek for theyr own reasons? I think it is a nice idea for start, after that who knows if it will be fun and we wanted to keep the party going we could talk about some other endgame location and yet another adventure Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Armistan

Armistan

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Starting point   Looking for group! EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 2:06 pm

Another thing to consider while we let the storyline thing simmer is where we should start in terms of zone and level. It is my belief that the newer starting zones - Elven Island and Coast of Opportunity - are soloable content in terms of quests and thus might not be the most interesting for team play. To Transport to Reifort camp side the characters would have to be level 10/- but instances like Forsaken Abbey and the Necropolis of Mirrors are on the Howling Mountains / Silverspring side, so I suppose I might suggest the latter route. Correct me if I have something wrong and offer your opinions, guys.

On a side note, powerlevelling is relatively easily done even up to level 20/20 ,especially when double XP and such are going on. It becomes disabled once the character reaches level 30 in one class. I'm just saying that starting from a higher level then 1 is not an impossible idea either.
Back to top Go down
Orpherus
Admin
Orpherus

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 2:07 pm

Unfortunately I cannot remember anything useful of the quest storylines in Aotulia Volcano, although I remember several NPC encounters etc. However, they say AV is "such a place not even the toughest ones enjoy it", and I think at one point it was the first new zone after an update – meaning that Savage Lands once was the last for a while. Considering that leveling by roleplaying will be particularly slow, the main goal should probably be set lower first; maybe Origin or Heart of the Ocean or Hall of Survivors... Before anyone tells me I'm a pessimist, I deny that, no, I'm a realist; it will take weeks and weeks and months to get to Necropolis of Mirrors by RP-leveling, and eventually the party is likely to start to fall apart... Once a milestone has been reached, it's time for higher goals.
Back to top Go down
http://apatia.guildmmorpg.net
Andraliel

Andraliel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 2:15 pm

Armistan speaks the truth.
We don't need to start from lvl 1. Our charas can powerlvl each other rather easily. PLUS! Our charas could get nicer clothes or at least more variation from the start Very Happy Vanity before all!

And the answer to earlier question about Aotulia: I got no idea. It has been so difficult zone that I have not energy to concentrate on the lore... so no idea of that.
Back to top Go down
Armistan

Armistan

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 3:14 pm

You have a valid point, Meine. I was thinking more in terms of unreachable goals as per the Shangri-La earlier, but now that you mention milestones... Perhaps it would be wisest to structure the group's goals straight in conjunction with the instances of RoM since those require the most cooperative play anyway!
At this late hour I am having difficulties coming up with any good examples, but gathering materials for an ancient recipe or just outright cleansing these dens of evil might work as the overall goal. Either one of those rickety plots could still stem some different reasons for our four characters to take on the grand quest.
Back to top Go down
Noryel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 4:59 pm

I do agree with higher levels cause the group should be already at least a bit experienced group working together fo some time now. Also i do agree with the idea of milestone per dungeon and i have an idea how to connect them in the story of our heroes. And im starting to even have ideas about the motivations of each member of the group. Now could someone post some dungeons wich you think would look good, doable and epic enough for our story needs, and gimme a short general description on how they look? (like catacombs with undead and a witch at the end or volcano full of lizards with badass demon on the end) So I could link them up in the story. Like we kill ancalon and before she dies she gets to tell a name of other minion of the groups main enemy. So they would travel there to find more clues and so on...
Back to top Go down
Andraliel

Andraliel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 1:44 am

Ravenfell being very much a pirate place, some bounty hunting would go as some kind of semigoal, too?

I would so much like to go to HoS or HotO. But does it then really have to be an instance? I mean, there is a neat place as sewers of Dalanis, though there IS an instance in the end of it. But Dalanis and it's surroundings and all those Janost Forests are rather epic places. Hidden laboratories etc. That would mean of course that chara needs to be at least lvl 53 to get a quest to get in there... unless we use portals.

Though, leveling a chara to lvl 53 isn't that hard now. If our mains powerlvl them to almost 30 and then go to CoO... few days I'd say.

Back to top Go down
Noryel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 4:06 am

another idea...ill think up the MAIN PLOT for the group to be together and as you guys know RoM much better than me, everyone could take turns after one milestone is done next player would think up a place and a part of the story. I think this should be good as it will make the story change without for example me knowing how it will go Smile what do you think?
Back to top Go down
Iarna

Iarna

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 9:04 am

Just don't plan too much ahead. We know how those end up.
Back to top Go down
Andraliel

Andraliel

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 9:45 am

Agree with Iarna.

Don't plan too tightly ahead. But the reason why they are together in the first place would be nice. That doesn't necessarily have to be very big story. Leave the freedom to make up our own charas' backgrounds and such and give room to the future so our charas can grow. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Looking for group! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for group!   Looking for group! Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for group!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Apatia :: Role Playing :: Role Playing-
Jump to: